Friends

Becoming Yourself

and again recently, I had the opportunity to visit with Geoff Currier on the Nighthawk, CJOB evening show. Geoff asked me to join him in a discussion about how some people manage to re-invent themselves, and he uses the example of author Frank McCourt Angela's Ashes start things off.

As a Life & Business Coach working with my clients is all about reinvention, but maybe not in the way that You May think. The idea that man can actually re-invent, to transform themselves into someone or something else entirely, one that I believe that the widely misunderstood, and I explained my position. a huge misconception out there is it, reinventing it is not a change in someone or something else, something new and completely different than it is about "living life from a place that you really - your most authentic inner self" (Nancy Fox). In other words, all of us, are on their way through life self-discovery, and if as we travel we make an effort to move forward in a positive way that they comply with our values ​​and needs, we will find and live our life purpose, what we Indeed they should do or be.

"I absolutely believe that this is one of the greatest living truth !"

For those who may not know, Frank McCourt after surviving a horrific childhood in Ireland and the United States, went on to serve in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, and upon his return he took advantage of the GI Bill to attend New York University and became a teacher. For the next 30 years he taught English to young people, primarily in high school until he retired at the age of 66, and Angela's Ashes wrote 1996th It was an immediate success and won a Pulitzer Prize. He then went on to write two other books, 'Tis and Teacher Man. He died in July 2009.

Was it a case of a man again, I think not, but it was the culmination of the journey to their "life purpose." He arrived at just the right time to begin his writing.

One must never discount or reduce the journey toward the "goal", but embrace it, enjoy and experience is entirely possible. Remember also that more often than not, others are involved in our journey that makes us part of your trip, so make it positive.

In the case of Frank McCourt hundreds of students led the way as their teacher. I wonder how it affected their lives.

* * * * * * *
Driving home after the concert I found myself wondering about the people I know who has made ​​significant changes in the way they act in the world, and then it hit me, and I was overwhelmed with emotions that even though my oldest son Chris.

Chris has been in so many ways a typical boy who is at least for its first 10 years and little changed from the way that I could have predicted in their wildest dreams. At his request she started buying him a guitar, and posting it in guitar lessons. He never looked back.

To say that Chris took his guitar like a duck to water was an understatement. He never missed a lesson and never needed to be reminded to practice, things are being pulled away to attend to other activities in order to try and keep some balance in life. It was not long before it seemed that he disappeared into the basement to focus on his music. After a few years ago I began to wonder if he will ever get. I'd throw down the food on occasion so that he would not starve, even sneak down after he slept was to do his laundry. Other shady looking character with long hair and guitar will come and go and every once in a while, if the music stopped, I would cry just to make sure he is still alive!

seems to go for the better part of 9 years and one day came from the basement and said to me: "Dad wanted me and the guys formed a band and going to start playing out!" He called the band "Bent Outta Shape ."

It becomes much more blurry after that, but for the most part I remember many years of great memories of him and the guys around, and watching them play. I loved it! Yes, I became a groupie, video-taped my son how to develop and grow as a musician.

I must admit though that as much as I enjoyed it, there's always the worry in the back of my mind because of what I came to know in my travels around the world of rock and roll. Maybe I'll lose my son drugs or alcohol. I watched several of his friends and other musicians who have not lost this battle.

Fast forward to Chris in the mid 30's and what I see, my son has finished university in their first degree and a gold medal in history. He is now in its second year of education and will graduate teacher in the spring of 2010. And he can still see them practicing guitar everyday.

From my point of view, my son was on his way to becoming a starving artist for the rest of his life. Needless to say I was very worried for him, but in retrospect I do not need to be. Thank God he knew what he was doing during those early years. According to the process is not mine, he is finding the right path, even if it looked like, "the road less traveled ."

Did he invent, I think not, but following his time in the way of congruence with their values ​​and needs

.

The purpose of the life of Chris will be finally I can not know, but I have absolutely no doubt that now the basis about his trip to observe at this moment, my beautiful son who I love, will find it in his own good time.

This is how it can be, it should be for all of us. Is it coincidence operating in your life?

Coach Ladd

0 comments:

Post a Comment